Monday, March 21, 2011

Final Days






I didn't end up blogging last night so I have two days to briefly write about. Yesterday morning we spent the morning with the Karamajong tribe. These kids are the least of the least in Uganda. They are the poorest and the least respected. Katie bused them in from their village on two buses. There were about 130 children smashed onto each bus, it was quite a sight to see! These kids were definitely different from the Amazima children that we had been with the day before. They were clearly malnourished, much more needy, clingy, and hungry. When they were told they could play the sprinted to the playground in a mob. It was heartbreaking to see. But what was more difficult was meal time. Like the day before there was a huge pot of rice, one of beans, and some chicken. The Karamajong children are there every week but they were pushing and shoving relentlessly to get their food. I couldn't believe what I was seeing! All of the children were given plenty to eat and each week they get food but they still worry that they may not and feel like they need to be the first to get food. I will never complain about being hungry again!

Around 1 we left to go back to Canaan's and say goodbye. On the bus back tears instantly formed in my eyes. I had no idea that I would become so attached to that place. The children again were jumping up and down, SO excited to see us when we pulled in. Ruthie ran into my arms and I picked her up, never wanting to let her go! It was so difficult saying goodbye, all of the team was emotional and feeling so sad to leave the place that we had come to love. I finally had the courage to kiss Ruthie and all of my girls not goodbye, but see you later, knowing I will be back again soon! I left a part of my heart there with them yesterday.

Today we spent our last day serving at Royal Hope Academy in Kampala. The school is run by Rebecca Sorensen and she is such an amazing woman. We got to get to know her today and she has such a sweet spirit and deep passion for what she is doing. Her school is called Royal Hope academy because she talks about how she is serving God's royalty, his children, his orphans who have a father in Him as we all do. The children there were very clingy and needy, kind of like we had experienced with the Karamajong. They were not used to teams being there but it was good for us to pour out our love once more and fill some of their need to be loved.

I can't believe the trip is over! We fly out tomorrow at 5pm and I will be home around 2pm on Wednesday! I still need to reflect and process what God has been teaching me here before I write a blog post about it but God has rocked my world in Uganda and I am definitely coming home changed. Thank you AGAIN to EVERYONE who has supported me in ANY way along this journey! I am so grateful, humbled, and appreciative. I love you all!





No comments:

Post a Comment