Thursday, March 17, 2011

Feels Like Home



Hey everyone! We are back from a long day filled with excitement, energy, many hugs and kisses, and lots of lovin'! Today was our first day at the ministry called Return Uganda. Pastor Samuel is the head of this ministry where orphans from Kampala, Uganda come to eat, sleep, and feel God's love. There are currently only 15 orphans actually staying with Pastor Samuel but they have SO much need. Today there were about 150 children with us but there are up to 400 who venture to and from this place. The land that they have their "church" on (which is just a tent) is rented and not a large area at all. Currently only 3 of the children are sponsored but today may have been the start of something that will change that. Visiting Orphans set up a meeting with Joseph, a representative who lives in Uganda from Hope Chest to come and talk to Pastor Samuel about setting up a church link with them. Basically, from what I know, Hope Chest is an organization that links a church in the United States or elsewhere who have a heart for orphans to an orphan ministry. There is a lot of corruption in Uganda with Pastor's having orphanages for money and other things so there can be difficulties with creating these partnerships with churches. Apparently both Pastor Samuel and Joseph were apprehensive at first but it went well. Please pray that Pastor Samuel at Return Uganda could get support through Hope Chest. I am also planning on sharing a lot of detailed information about the ministries I have been visiting and how you can help or get involved when I get home.





Our day at Return was very different than Cannan's but wonderful. This was only the second time that a team from Visiting Orphans has been there so the children are still a little confused about why we are there and obviously who we are. It took them awhile to warm up to us but once they did they had the time of their lives. We were there for 6 hours today! I spent my time dancing and singing with the children, teaching them the hokie pokie, talking with them, trying to learn more about their lives, and hoping they felt cared for and encouraged. I met so many wonderful children today who just need to know they are loved. My heart is broken daily by the poverty and stories that these children have. But through it all, they still have life in their eyes. The one thing that so many of them are lacking is hope. It is though so many of them don't know how to dream.






God is definitely speaking to me loudly here but I am still trying to decipher what He is actually trying to teach me. i am so convicted by so many things but also a little overwhelmed with it all. Please pray with me that God will impress upon my heart what he specifically wants me to learn, and how my life needs to change after I return home. It's crazy though because Uganda feels so much like home. I have traveled so many places and this is the first time where I have actually thought, I could live here, I could spend every day holding children and be completely content. The Lord definitely orchestrated this for me and put this desire on my heart.





No comments:

Post a Comment